Head of Social Sciences
Salary: MPS/UPS + TLR
Required to start – Sept 2021
Closing date: Thursday 27th May 2021
Interviews: Friday 28th May 2021
If you are looking to take the next exciting step in your career, we are offering an excellent opportunity for an ambitious, talented individual looking to develop their career.
We are looking for a well-qualified, enthusiastic and experienced teacher or subject leader to take responsibility for Social Science. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of successful teaching as well as being able to demonstrate the ability to motivate and lead teams of staff.
We are seeking to appoint an inspirational Head of Department for Social Science with excellent subject knowledge and the ability to teach Health and Social Care (KS4 & KS5) and/or Sociology (KS5).The successful candidate will join the school’s highly successful and enthusiastic Social Sciences department working and collaborating with an exceptionally dedicated and talented team of practitioners.
What we are looking for:
- An excellent Social Science specialist, who is ready to develop their leadership skills
- A strategic thinker to shape the future of the subject and positively lead the department whilst being a well-organised, determined and proactive operational subject leader
- A passion to build on attainment and achievement at KS4 and KS5 through a positive attitude from staff, students and parents.
- A proven teacher, who has driven up attainment and progress in Social Science
- Someone keen to make a difference to the lives of young people
- Someone looking to join a community that works to develop young people into successful citizens.
- Someone ready to work with young people both in lessons and as a tutor.
What Fulston Manor School can offer you:
- Mentoring and high-level training
- Encouragement to develop your career with excellent promotion opportunities
- A family atmosphere with welcoming staff and students
- A caring environment with well-being and work/life balance at its core.
- To be part of a whole school team – working together to achieve and valuing every individual’s contribution
Both Health and Social Care and Sociology are among the most popular subjects in the school. Health & Social care is available at Level 2 and Level 3 where we offer the BTEC Level 2 Tech Award and the BTEC National Extended Certificate/Diploma, respectively. Sociology is available at Level 3 where we offer the AQA specification. In addition to these subjects the Department also offers Level 3 Psychology which is the most popular subject at Sixth Form level. The Department is based in our highly regarded Sixth Form centre in some of the newest and best-equipped classrooms in the school.
Students from both of our 6th form consortium partner schools (the neighbouring Highsted Grammar and Borden Grammar) also opt to study Health and Social Care with us. The Social Sciences Department are proud of the high proportion of students that successfully continue onto further study or careers within the Health and Social Care sector following their studies with us.
Fulston Manor is consistently one of the highest performing non-selective schools in Kent, this success is based on the quality of our staff and the excellence of our induction and support programmes. The school offers an outstanding learning environment for all its students.
Fulston Manor is focused on developing students into young citizens capable of making a difference. Here, at Fulston, we have a strong pastoral system at our core and we pride ourselves on being about strong traditional family values. All staff and students, who join us, are joining the Fulston family and we look forward to welcoming you to this community.
Applications are invited from experienced teachers who possess the skills, enthusiasm, and commitment necessary to ensure our students succeed and develop in our nurturing community.
The starting date for this post will be September 2021 If you are interested and would like to apply please complete the school’s application form and send this in to the Head of School with a covering letter (email acceptable). Applications by CV will not be accepted.
For any further information, however, please do not hesitate to contact the school ; you are, of course, most welcome to visit – we are able to arrange this with the present social distancing measures in place.
A job description and person specification is attached for further details.
We reserve the right to withdraw the advertisement early and to interview candidates during the advertisement window; candidates are therefore encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience.
This school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment’