Art and Design
Head of Department
|Ms J L Smith|
|Miss S Ansary||Teacher of Art|
|Mr H Box||Teacher of Photography and Art|
|Mrs E Prince||Teacher of Textiles|
|Mr S Rayfield||Teacher i/c of Art|
|Mrs L Relf||Teacher i/c of Photography|
|Ms S Taylor||Teacher of Photography|
Our Curriculum Intent
At Fulston Manor, with our Creative Design curriculum, we aim to enable students to become confident and creative thinkers and makers, able to develop their own ideas and concepts in response to personal ideas, questions or problems raised. We want them to be able to work on and develop high quality artwork, showing the ability to improve and adapt their work through critical conversation, where they can articulate and communicate ideas.
At Fulston Manor, with our Art and Design curriculum, we aim to introduce students to a wide range of skills and techniques that will enable them to access the curriculum, equipping them with skills and understanding in the basic concepts governing the use of different media. This is taught through first-hand experience of handling different media and materials and through demonstrations and videos. Where possible we relate projects to the work of others in order to develop the students’ broad understanding of the meaning, significance and contribution of art and design within both contemporary cultures and that of the past, encouraging students to take inspiration from these sources. We aim to develop the students’ ability to be able to communicate opinions about their own and others work and to be able to express ideas, concepts with growing maturity. Through the making of images and artefacts, we aim to provide the students with the means to make concrete their observations and responses to the ever-changing world in which they find themselves.
What Will Students Learn In Each Year?
The links below give a detailed breakdown of what is taught in the the curriculum for each year.
Key Stage 3
Key Stage 4
Key Stage 5
Accommodation and Resources
- Three general art rooms, including one with a kiln
- One textile room
- One computer room with Apple computers
- Two photography teaching rooms with a mix of PCs and Apple Mac, plus dark room facilities
Extra Curricular Activities
- GCSE Art workshop - Friday week 2.
- GCSE Photography and Textiles workshop - Friday week 2.
- A level Art, Photography and Textiles Workshop - Friday weekly.
Students are welcome to come to the art rooms to continue with their work on other nights if they are not needed elsewhere.
- KS3 homework support - Tuesday 3.00 – 4.00pm
- Year 9 only Textiles Club - Tuesday 3.00 - 4.00pm
- Holiday workshops are run over February half term and Easter breaks.
- A level Fine Art school trips will take place to galleries and museums.