The curriculum at Fulston Manor School aims to provide a framework which translates the values of the school into high quality teaching so that all students reach their full potential. This is important for learners of all abilities, including those identified as having special educational needs. It is important to recognise that the curriculum is not solely about the National Curriculum but embraces all that is learned through school, whether it be in lessons or part of informal learning within and beyond the school day.
The aim of the curriculum is to help students to:
- Acquire appropriate knowledge, understanding and skills in preparation for the next stage of their education and beyond
- Develop creative, imaginative, enquiring minds with a willingness to take risks in their learning
- Acquire skills relevant to adult life and the dynamic technological world in which the students live
- Encourage high aspirations
- Develop high standards of literacy and numeracy to ensure equality of access to the curriculum and successful progression within and beyond education
- Develop and use enterprise capabilities in a variety of contexts
- Develop and use ICT capabilities in a variety of contexts
- Develop personal and moral values, respect for shared values and for other cultures, religions and ways of life
- Appreciate human achievements and aspirations
- Take their place in society as informed, confident and responsible citizens
Details of the content of the subjects offered at GCSE can be found via the links on the left of this page.
To find out more about the school curriculum and how it is followed please contact either Mrs M Gash or Mr G Vigeon via the main school number that can be found here.
Key Stage 3
The curriculum at Key Stage 3 builds upon the National Curriculum at Key Stage 2 to ensure that students are fully prepared for Key Stage 4. Students study a range of subjects:
Art, Citizenship Design Technology, Drama, English, Food Technology, French, Geography, History, Information Technology (Computing Science), Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Religious Education, Science and Textiles.
Key Stage 3 is taught in Years 7-9. Core subjects (English, Mathematics and Science) may begin the GCSE program of study earlier, in Year 9.
Key Stage 4
Fulston Manor School encourages students to follow a broad and balanced programme of study which fulfils the requirements of the National Curriculum. We offer a rigorous curriculum which includes Core Subjects, Baccalaureate Subjects and a broad range of other academic and creative subjects.
Religious Education, Careers Advice and Guidance, Citizenship and Health education (including sex education) are all accommodated within PSHE and Games
- Compulsory subjects – Mathematics, English Literature and English Language, Science*
*It should be noted that it is compulsory for students to study either Combined Science (to achieve 2 GCSEs) or Biology, Chemistry and Physics (to achieve 3 GCSEs).
- Baccalaureate Subjects – Combined Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Geography, History and French
- Optional subjects – a wide range of subjects are offered which vary from year to year in response to the needs and interests of the students. Currently these include: Art and Design, Business Studies, Business Communication, Computer Science, Catering, Citizenship, Dance, Drama, Economics, French, Graphic Products, Geography, Health and Social Care (both single and double award), History, Media Studies, Music, Personal Finance, Physical Education, Product Design, Religious Education, Textiles, Triple Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics).
- All students in Key Stage 4 have Independent Study Periods incorporated into their timetable. These are supervised by staff who will support the students in developing effective study skills in preparation for their GCSEs.
- Games is compulsory for all students
Key Stage 5
Fulston Manor School works in partnership with Borden and Highsted Grammar schools in providing a common blocked timetable which increases the range of Level 3 (AS/A2) subjects available to all students from the three schools.
The school only offers a Level 3 programme (A Level and equivalent), though retakes in GCSE English Language and Mathematics are available for Sixth Form students where required.
The current Level 3 (A Level) offer from Fulston Manor School includes- Art and Design, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Computer Science, English Literature, Extended Project, Film Studies, Financial Studies, Geography, Health and Social Care (single and double award), History, Information Technology, Law, Mathematics, Music, Performing Arts, Photography, Physical Education, Product Design, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology and Textiles.
In addition to these subjects we are also able to offer access to all the subjects available at both Borden Grammar School and Highsted Grammar School