Design and Technology
Exam Dates And Deadlines
Exam Date - 15th June
NEA Deadline - 1st April
Head of Department Guidance
Remember that your Non-exam assessment (the work you complete during lessons) is worth 50% of your final GCSE. It must be completed within approximately 30–35 hours and is work 100 marks.
Task(s) to be completed:
Substantial design and make task
- Assessment criteria:
- Identifying and investigating design possibilities
- Producing a design brief and specification
- Generating design ideas
- Developing design ideas
- Realising design ideas
- Analysing & evaluating
- Contextual challenges are released annually by AQA on 1st June in the year prior to the submission of the NEA
- Students will produce a prototype and a portfolio of evidence. Work will be marked by teachers and moderated by AQA
- Your written examination is worth the remaining 50% (100 marks) and will include Core technical principles, Specialist technical principles and Designing and making principles.
Section A – Core technical principles (20 marks)
A mixture of multiple choice and short answer questions assessing a breadth of technical knowledge and understanding.
Section B – Specialist technical principles (30 marks)
Several short answer questions (2–5 marks) and one extended response to assess a more in depth knowledge of technical principles.
Section C – Designing and making principles (50 marks)
A mixture of short answer and extended response questions.
You need to understand and be able to use skills in designing, manufacturing and evaluating, in your NEA and you need to be able to apply this knowledge in your examination.
Justify all the decisions you make in your folder work – imagine it is telling the story of your product.
Use the website: www.technologystudent.com to help. It has some fantastic resources and a selection of questions to help test yourself.
Talk to your teacher if you are worried about anything or want further advice, we are all here to help and will offer support and guidance when required, subject to controlled assessment restrictions.