Monday to Friday
8.00am-8.45am Homework Support
3.00pm-4.00pm Homework Club
- A black and white printer is available free of charge for school work.
- Comfortable chairs. Seating and tables for 37 student.
- A wide range of fiction and non-fiction books to encourage reading for pleasure and to support study.
- 32 laptops (Not available at break)
Library Book Challenge
Reading for pleasure has been reported to improve not only academic achievement but also the health and wellbeing of children. Each year we run a book challenge that all students can participate in to encourage them to read as much as possible.
There are always lots of new books in the Library and Mrs Silver and her assistants are always pleased to help you find a good read or help with homework.
The Library contains many fiction and non-fiction books which have been carefully selected to support all aspects of the curriculum as well as providing information on leisure activities and opportunities to read widely. It is vital to encourage reading for fun as well as education and we try to keep up with current trends and interests as much as possible. The Librarian welcomes suggestions for new titles from students.
The non-fiction books are shelved by the Dewey system and contain differentiated, trustworthy and accessible information on all topics covered by the National Curriculum as well as on popular leisure activities and interests.
Fiction books are shelved by genre which includes Fantasy, Sports stories, Historical, Horror, Multicultural, Animals, Funny books, "Problem Page", "Girl's World" and Adventure. There is also a section specifically for popular authors. There is an area set aside for Sixth Form books, including advanced fiction.
Accelerated Reader books are shelved separately in book level order.
Most of the books in the Library can be borrowed for a period of 4 weeks.
As well as books we have laptops with Internet access.
The First News newspaper for school children is available weekly.
The library has introduced a subscription to Wheelers E Platform, enabling students to read books on phones or tablets and this is available throughout holidays.
Use In School Time
The Library is used during the day for classes. Accelerated Reader classes are based in the library and other departments bring classes in to research a variety of topics, in order to encourage independent learning. Most departments take advantage of this facility but notable users are History, Science, and English with topics including Castles, the Renaissance, World War 1, Hibernation, Planets, and Shakespeare.
Handwriting Support is also offered
Sixth Form students can use the Library during study periods throughout the day.
- Student helpers staff the Library at lunchtime.
- Homework support between 8:00 and 8:30
- Homework Club takes place every day from 3:00pm - 4:00 pm
- Quiet Study Lunches
- Themed Book Displays
- “Homework Help” Book displays
- Handwriting Support takes place once a week, co-ordinated by Mrs Lang as one of the SEN interventions
- The Librarian runs a Creative Writing Club and promotes writing competitions
- Book Fairs