Sixth Form Home-School Contract
This Contract outlines the terms and conditions under which you will undertake your study in the Sixth Form at Fulston Manor School.
Read the following carefully, then sign and date in the space provided. Please also ask your parents to sign in the space provided.
- The Sixth Form should not and cannot be viewed as an 8:50am to 3:00pm experience. All students are expected to stay on until at least 4:00pm should a member of staff require it. This is a minimum expectation.
- Independent Study time is a feature of Sixth Form life which is built into your timetable. Students not on any type of contract will make their own suitable arrangements as to where to carry out such work and study although the Sixth Form Centre is well equipped for this purpose. All courses work to deadlines and these must be met at all times
- Students on additional Contracts will be required to complete all their Independent Study in the Sixth Form Centre.
- All Sixth Formers are also expected to work at home and a minimum of 6-8 hours a week self study outside of lessons is essential.
All Sixth Form Formers are expected to set an example to other students in school in their standard of dress and conduct. Dress should be appropriate for office work. (See Planner).
- In order to ensure that you fully realise your academic potential, you should restrict the amount of paid work that you do outside of school to a minimum. The expectation is you will work no more than 12 hours paid work per week. You should avoid working during evenings in a school week and should not work before 5:30pm on any school day.
- Students are only permitted to eat and drink in the Sixth Form Centre Common Room and outside seating area (drinks with lids are permitted in the Study Zone).
- Receiving and making phones calls on mobile phones is only permitted in the Sixth Form Centre Common Room.
- All Year 12 students must arrange and successfully complete a week of work experience during Activities Week in July 2020.
- In addition to your chosen subjects, to enhance your Sixth Form Study, you will be provided with:
- Careers education and guidance and a personal class tutor.
- Personal, Social and Health education
- You will be given ample opportunity to contribute to the school and wider community through extra curricular activity and volunteering.
- You will be entered for public examinations as long as you satisfy the requirements of the course.
- You will be given all necessary materials, equipment and basic stationery (e.g. paper) unless you are responsible for excessive waste.
- The Sixth Form Centre is your working and social area. Please treat it with respect.
- The use of mobile phones is permitted as outlined in the policy.
- You have a responsibility to keep the Sixth Form Centre clean and tidy- it is yours to look after.
You must comply with Partners School procedures for signing in and out and leave Partner Schools once a lesson is completed.
- All students must attend arrive in school by 8.40am school each day and attend tutor time at 8.50am. Please notify the Sixth Form office (01795 412608) of any absence on the first day of absence, before 9:00 am. Notify the Office again if you are likely to be absent for a third day or longer.
- Absences will be considered unauthorised unless covered by a note.
- All foreseen absence must be notified in advance.
- We are not able to authorise holidays during term time and we would ask you not to remove students during this time. Holidays will only damage a student’s progress.
- All students (except those on Contracts) will take responsibility for their own Independent Study. If it is practical, they can leave the site and must sign out using the system in place in the Sixth Form Centre. They must sign in using the same system on their return to school.
- A failure to comply with these procedures will result in this privilege being either suspended and/ or removed.
- Students who miss deadlines and/or appear on the Sanctions Procedure will be directed by the Head of Sixth Form where to do their Independent Study. They cannot leave the site during lesson time.
- You must record work set, deadlines, important dates/events, examinations, etc. – be organised!
- Wherever possible you should arrange medical appointments and driving tests outside of school hours. For medical appointments, please provide an appointment card or letter for your tutor.
- You must seek the agreement of the Head of Sixth Form before arranging driving tests during the school day. Driving lessons are not authorised in school time.
- Students wishing to make changes to their subject choices must discuss their options with all parties concerned, including parents, before final decisions are made by the Head of Sixth Form.
- Students wishing to leave the Sixth Form before the duration of their courses should consult the Head of Sixth Form initially. A meeting will be held between the Head of Sixth Form, student and parents to discuss all options before a final decision is made.
- If a student is late to registration/lesson on two or more occasions (medical emergencies excepted) during the course of one week, this will result in signing out privileges being revoked.
NB: in addition to lateness, truancy or misuse of Independent Study time will result in signing out entitlements being withdrawn.
If continued or serious complaints regarding the conduct of students are received and further action is deemed necessary, the following outline procedure will be used:
Verbal Warning: To be given by the Tutor/ Head of Sixth Form.
Written Warning 1: Warning confirmed in writing, parents have the opportunity to meet the tutor and Head of Sixth Form.
Written Warning 2: Serious or continuing problems will result in Head of Sixth Form informing parents and Headteacher in writing. Parents are invited into school and temporary exclusion possible.
Permanent exclusion: Whilst it is rare for matters to reach this stage, serious breaches of the School rules, or continued breaches could trigger this severe sanction. Appeals are possible